Many people daily do not achieve their water consumption goal. As working class citizens with children and families to tend to there could be multiple reasons why this goal is not achieved. WebMD helps us understand why water is so important by stating these six reasons.
- Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water.
- Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy.
- Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue.
- Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss.
- Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells.
- Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function. Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation.
WebMD only lists some of the amazing benefits of drinking water. Water is important for so many more reasons than what is listed and people everyday take drinking water for granted. Being a trainer I consider my body like a car. Cars need maintenance, upkeep, and many other things to keep it running efficiently. Our bodies are similar. If we do not give our body the necessary supplies eventually it will break down on us. Water is the most necessary supply for the body and although our schedules may get busy with many things we should always be able to consume enough water throughout the day I believe. I encourage you to research more of the benefits of water and this might assist you on your health and fitness journey.
“6 Reasons to Drink Water.” WebMD. 2008. Web. 28 May 2015. <www.webmd.com/diet/6-reasons- to- drink -water>.